Matthew Rosewarne on 20 Oct 2007 20:53:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Xen and the art of server maintenance

On Friday 19 October 2007, Eric wrote:
> I forgot that you are quite Debian focused :-)

I've been using Linux exclusively on my desktop since I switched from WIndows
2000, and have bounced from distro to distro.  Of all the distros I tried,
only Debian has managed to do what I want without breaking, so I think it's
understandable for me to be predisposed towards Debian.

> For ordinary use ( the list of items that you had in your original email )
> there is no need to use rpm, yum, or any other package manager.  There is a
> web-based configuration tool (server-manager) available and it covers all
> of the typical setup.  There is a console based setup that you complete on
> first boot and after that you just use their server-manager web interface.
>
> Also, it's an easy download and install... try it!

I installed SME and from what I've seen, I'm very impressed.  Barring any
unforseen problems, I'll definitely be keeping it on this server.  Thanks for
the advice!