Eric on 20 Oct 2007 01:37:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Xen and the art of server maintenance

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Friday 19 October 2007, Eric wrote:
>> Based on the list of tasks/services that you list and your description of
>> the use as "small business" I'd recommend SME Server (except for Asterisk).
>>  It's a simple Linux distro that is designed to be set up and configured
>> quickly and easily and maintenance is simple.  It's based on CentOS - a
>> free version of Red Hat Enterprise Server and it uses a web interface for
>> configuration.  Is this server to also handle Internet access, firewall and
>> DHCP server?  That's built in and it's all easy to get running.
>
> I was toying with the idea of using SME Server (or a similar distro), but I
> haven't had much luck with RedHat-based distros.  Is there a Debianish way to
> achieve a similar result (comprehensive web-panel, "user-friendly"
> maintenance)?

I forgot that you are quite Debian focused :-)

For ordinary use ( the list of items that you had in your original email ) there
is no need to use rpm, yum, or any other package manager.  There is a web-based
configuration tool (server-manager) available and it covers all of the typical
setup.  There is a console based setup that you complete on first boot and after
that you just use their server-manager web interface.

Also, it's an easy download and install... try it!

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#