Mike Leone on 20 Oct 2007 23:40:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive - problems installing grub

So here's what I did:

installed new HD
booted knoppix in command line only (knoppix 2)
mkdir /mnt/oldhd
mkdir /mnt/oldhd/boot
mkdir /mnt/oldhd/usr
mkdir /mnt/oldhd/var

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/oldhd
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/oldhd/boot
mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/oldhd/usr
mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/oldhd/var

chroot /mnt/oldhd
/usr/sbin/grub-install hd0

It said:

Could not find device for /boot: not found or not a block device

Had no errors mounting it; if I changed to it, I saw all the proper
files in /boot.

Thoughts?

(there's reasons why I dislike computers ... :-))

(/boot is ext2; all others are ext3. Not that it should matter; mount
auto-figured out what the format was, else I wouldn't have seen anything)
]