jondz on 21 Oct 2007 08:23:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive - problems installing grub

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 19:39 -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> So here's what I did:
>
> installed new HD
> booted knoppix in command line only (knoppix 2)
> mkdir /mnt/oldhd
> mkdir /mnt/oldhd/boot
> mkdir /mnt/oldhd/usr
> mkdir /mnt/oldhd/var
>
> mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/oldhd
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/oldhd/boot
> mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/oldhd/usr
> mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/oldhd/var
>
> chroot /mnt/oldhd
> /usr/sbin/grub-install hd0
>
> It said:
>
> Could not find device for /boot: not found or not a block device
>
> Had no errors mounting it; if I changed to it, I saw all the proper
> files in /boot.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> (there's reasons why I dislike computers ... :-))
>

> (/boot is ext2; all others are ext3. Not that it should matter; mount
> auto-figured out what the format was, else I wouldn't have seen anything)
> ]

I found this

http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2006-July/028538.html
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2006-July/028540.html

this has probably something to do with device.map.

Here is something else that may or may not be relevant (the "grub
setup()" command ).  I know i have used it once.  it looks like
something that can force an grub install.

jondz