jondz on 27 Oct 2007 08:06:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive - problems installing grub

Hi

Ok this is an old thread but I also decided to clone a disk  tonight.
Writing most of the stuff down that I can remember.  Could have some
ideas useful to somebody later.  In no particular order and might have
some errors and i wont be really sure until i yank the old drive out.

My target -- I decided to replace an IDE drive (/dev/hda) with a SATA
drive (/dev/sda).  I really didnt like the way two drives are chained on
the one channel that the motherboard had.

so..

with /dev/sda still fresh,

1. create /dev/sda1 that is exacly the same size as /dev/hda1
2. reboot in single user
3. mount -o ro,remount /
4. dd from hda1 to sda1
5. fsck /dev/sda1

Now the tricky part (here is where I had to reboot many many times, so
this is a summary of what i think should have been done if i had only
one try)

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp/
edit /mnt/tmp/etc/fstab so that root points to /dev/sda1
edit /mnt/boot/grub/device.map # change /dev/hda to /dev/sda
edit /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst # change kernel params root=whatever to
root=/dev/sda1

grub command line (this is where i googled the stuff and wrote it down
on my cellphone because it is so useful) (I think what this does is
pretend that /dev/sda is the first disk):

device(hd0) /dev/sda
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

set bios to boot on the sata disk

now the machine is booting with root on /dev/sda1 and with the rest of
them still in /dev/hda.  Usually i clone a filesystem one by one with
occasional /etc/fstab editing and reboots.   For example i am
cloning /usr right now.  I do not clone bit-by-bit for anything other
that root, what i do is

fdisk /dev/sda # create partition for /xyz
mkfs.ext3      # rarely used very fun to use command
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp/xyz

cd /
tar cvfp - xyz  | ( cd /mnt/tmp/ && tar xvfp - ) # VERY DANGEROUS

I am now in a situation where update-grub and grub-install is not yet
clean (there is a UUID attribute of the partition that gets in the way
which i dont care about).  Plus, there is the possibility of the machine
actually booting off the original disk still.    Should be resolved when
i remove the original /dev/hda.

jondz