zuzu on 26 Oct 2007 00:45:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Free Software
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:45:48 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=1+3rcyN5nPSvWQv3WGM7FJEjDrhkpbXX2E0FjJyw9Xk=; b=CGYyCfOIU30P1FTfu8FA/lCwUMRPSQuUBYLGug2/Moa3bI8AeBV/6t6Kuk8x+AM5DW7SS2tDFlNDFLE2k8Y6vMoU0HpQprLjziDS8bW0qm4p0V5mWPW1vaQYwml4XS2LBsZHS1lmV3m72Ushb/dQM0wCruJZLZIptSV4EWBsxsA=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/25/07, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:

> not to mention that compiling code, primarily used to obscure its
> operation, is an antiquated practice as well; the complexity of
> distributed execution and modification (especially
> introspection/reflection) requires end-user interpretation rather than
> supply-side pre-compilation.
>
> when I'm feeling flippant, I outright blame Bill Gates since his
> primary contribution to computer culture was really only convincing
> businessmen that software could be sold in boxes as physical widgets,
> which is the paradigm to which they were accustomed and made for an
> easy transition.  of course, software is not a physical object and has
> very different qualities from physical widgets; hence the argument
> which continues to this day.

as another piece of historical trivia, the reason why C++ became so
popular and lasted so long despite being such an awful language
largely traces to Microsoft choosing it as the OOP language for
writing Windows (3.0?) in.  Microsoft chose this because it allowed
for compiling to obscure their "proprietary" source code.

otherwise Smalltalk (in which introspection is encouraged) would
probably have become normalized instead, which means we wouldn't have
seen need for the compromise between them of Java later on either.

path dependencies are a funny thing.