bergman on 26 Oct 2007 14:09:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fw: X-Win32 V9: The Ultimate PC X Server!

In the message dated: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:42:39 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from "Brian Vagnoni" on
<[PLUG] Fw: X-Win32 V9: The Ultimate PC X Server!> were:
=> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
=>

Note the icky formatting...whatever happened to simple ASCII e-mail? :)

=>
=> I know people have talked about wanting to be able to do this. If you st=
=> ill have a Drexel account you can get it for free.

We use X-Win32 pretty heavily here at $WORKPLACE, and I'm quite fond of it.
If you've got to run Windows, and you need an X server, X-Win32 is a good
choice. I've used Cygwin-X (which would probably be my personal choice), but it
requires a lot of maintenance and support...more than I want to do for a whole
bunch of Windows desktops. X-Win32 is a very clean, fast X Server, and the
company is quite responsive to feature requests & bug reports. Their
development/release cycle is very fast too.

X-Win32 v9 looks like it has some really nifty features. Essentially, it's a
VNC service that's integrated with the X-Win32 client. Unfortunately, we won't
be taking advantage of most of those new features, as they require a new
server-side daemon. That's something I'm not yet ready to install.

I am very interested in hearing from people who've actually deployed the "Live
server" side of X-Win32 v9.

Thanks,

Mark

=>
=> Brian Vagnoni
=>   =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F =20
=>
=>
=> Dear Mr. Brian Vagnoni,
=>  =20
=>   StarNet is pleased to present our next-generation PC X server: "X-Win3=
=> 2 LIVE Edition" (Version 9).=20
=>  =20
=>   Besides a number of bug fixes, Version 9 offers new "LIVE" sessions.  =
=> As the name implies, LIVE sessions do not die when your PC loses its con=
=> nection with the host due to a Windows, power or network problem.  You s=
=> imply reconnect.  You can also manually suspend sessions (they keep runn=
=> ing in the background on the host) and resume them later, even from a di=
=> fferent machine. And for the first time, LIVE sessions let you display a=
=>  full remote Unix or Linux desktop and work at LAN-like speed over relat=
=> ively slow Internet connections.
=>  =20

	[SNIP!]

=>  =20
=>   Paul Swart
=>   VP Sales & Marketing=20
=>   StarNet Communications
=>   408-739-0881 x520
=>   Rep ID: store=20
=>  =20

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman