Art Alexion on 26 Oct 2007 19:11:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT OSX Leopard v10.5

On Thursday 25 October 2007 07:26:30 Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> > Apple, its partners, and its lobbying groups are just as belligerent as
> > the RIAA when it comes to you sharing their software.  That is something
> > to keep in mind the next time you have the choice of supporting them by
> > buying their products.
>
> Why would I care about that if I'm going to *buy* their products? If I'm
> a legal customer, I don't have to care what they do to the guys who
> download their stuff off of USENET illegally. As a member of the market, I
> decide whether or not its worth it and then buy it or not. Part of my
> purchase decision is never what they are going to do to some kid in his
> basement for downloading the thing I'm buying from some POP in Finland. I
> only care about that if *I* am going to try that move.

I can't completely agree.  If piracy = crime, then crime and punishment may
offer an analogy.  I may not be a criminal and don't intend to commit a
crime, but I am very concerned about what sort of punishment my government
metes out to those that do.  Fairness and justice are important because one
day either I or someone I care deeply about is going to be the one needing
fairness and justice.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @