Stephen Gran on 26 Oct 2007 23:50:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 03:28:57PM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007 11:12:17 Sean C. Sheridan wrote:
> > Many people may not understand that you may charge for your software and
> > still have it fall under the category of "free software"
>
> I'm not sure I understand how that coexists with "The freedom to redistribute
> copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2)."
>
> While a scenario may exist where entity A sells program-which-is-open-source,
> but allows others to distribute it for free (or for a charge), that doesn't
> seem like a real world scenario.

That is mysql's business model.  And redhat's.  And many others.
Seeling software bundling, or support along with the software, or some
other thing like that, is and has been a viable model, judging by the
number of companies making bundles of cash at it.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The lunatic, the lover, and the poet,   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Are of imagination all compact...   --  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's   |
|                                | Dream"                                  |