jeff on 27 Oct 2007 03:54:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] non-nerdy ... keep

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> I've hit the exact same wall.  I would expect the reason there aren't
> easy-to-use backup programs is the relative lack of use of Linux by
> non-technical desktop users.

That's a very interesting thought.

If lin were a commercial concern, my immediate thought would be that
we'd need usable tools if we expected people to purchase our product.
As the interface has been greatly improved, it seems odd that we let
such an important thing as backing up get lost in the shuffle.  At least
with DVD burning progs, we put a front end on it that masks those
hideous command lines.

And while we're putting together our road map, we might as well get into
 the black art of databases.  What do we tell our customers when they
ask us what the equivalent of Access is?  They're not going to want to
hear any answers with the letters S, Q, or L in them.

-----

> I used to use Keep, and while it does work, I
> found it to be very poorly designed.

agreed.
Wouldn't ftp either, so I got rid of it.

> doing any operation with Keep, the UI blocks and you just have to hope that
> it's actually working.  It also isn't threaded, so it actually blocks the
> rest of the KDE services,

it's like formatting a floppy under Windows.

-=-=-
... Vista - brought to you by the Motion Picture Association of America