fljohnson3 on 31 Oct 2007 13:56:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Good wireless router(s)

Here's the skinny:

I'm putting this thing on a 2-node network (three if you count the DSL
routermodem; can't remember if an uplink port/crossover cable is needed).
One is a wired box, the other is my laptop, which I'll be using in
unpredictable parts of the room-about 50 feet long.

Until my USB dongle broke last week, I had, when I visited my relatives
here in West Philly, been plugging my laptop directly into the Ethernet
port of the router, at the expense of the desktop machine. That said, I
can either insert a wired hub/switch between the desktop and the router
AND replace my wired card, or I can insert a 4-port wireless router
between the desktop and the DSL router, secure it appropriately, and use
the broadband wirelessly, leaving the desktop box free for my mum and
sister to fetch their mail and read news at will.

If there's a third answer, drop it on me.