Michael Bevilacqua on 31 Oct 2007 22:00:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] problem booting Gentoo install on Sun Blade 100 (SPARC)

On 10/31/07, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/31/07, Michael Bevilacqua <michael@bevilacqua.us> wrote:
> Hi Sean-
>
> I was under the impression that Gentoo's Sparc64 install included only 2.4
> series kernels. Where did you acquire the 2.6's?

any of the Gentoo http mirrors, under releases, installcd.
e.g. http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/gentoo/releases/sparc/
or http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/releases/sparc/

Heh, it's been a while since I've made an install CD then :-)  I didn't realize they made the shift from 2.4 to 2.6 in their installer.

Says your "Onboard ATI Rage XL (PCI)" should have "excellent" compatability.

I tried both the 2007.0 and 2006.1 distributions, both kernels on
each.  I burned them at 4x; the 2006.1 booted to a point and then
printed a bunch of whitespace to the screen and then stopped.

Whitespace on your screen may be a framebuffer problem is why I checked the framebuffer compatability tables. What's your OBP version?

As a test, you are welcome to try one of my older Gentoo Sparc64 CDs if you feel you are having media difficulties. Let me know and I'll pass the CD's onto my wife to give to you at the next PLUG meeting. Of course, you'll have to show up. Also, I can burn you a copy of the latest and test it against one of my Sun machines if you like. I don't have a Blade 100, but at least we'll know that the CD media is valid.

Let me know.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us