Stephen Gran on 1 Nov 2007 15:27:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Video question

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:03:11AM -0400, Mark Baker said:
> The files on the DVD are in VOB format and can be converted to other
> formats with software packages available online.  I have also read
> that VOB files are in mpeg-2 format and they can simply be renamed
> from *.vob to *.mpeg and will play that way, but I have never tried
> it.   Maybe someone on the list has tried this??

VOBs are like mpeg-2, except that they are not always linear (you can
spread a single video over multiple VOBs), and they are usually
'encrypted' with CSS protection.  If you have dvdbackup, libdvdcss and
libdvdread installed, you should be able to rip the VOBs off to viewable
files pretty easily.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Reality -- what a concept!   -- Robin   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Williams                                |