Louis Kratz on 2 Nov 2007 18:15:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hauppauge PVR-500 capture from composite input?

  • From: "Louis Kratz" <louis.kratz@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Hauppauge PVR-500 capture from composite input?
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:15:07 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=G5qhdT1R5XgGvVJfI0hu4FEu6KQLnAI8iB+WNXaIPyM=; b=quKKUqA+gRoxV5W+4Mw+nopzkkCw29yQ4nTDK0EBcrvouYAGmrYASuIZs2KVkqKU2al0FA8XJqZLaKh04Q+iFDn54X1QzXKnrS+MAKSiKUN3Rn/9TUvwS5pxhrlk3BolZ8QG6FSl4KXJQEGRxsxacG6g1Wawo8kT9FYHJCTR+4M=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

./HandBrakeCLI --help
    -f, --format <string>   Set output format (avi/mp4/ogm/mkv, default: autodetected from file name)

The mpeg output from a hauppage card can be muxed into DVD compatible vobs for burning out for playing.  Check out http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_a_DVD for tools for doing that kind of stuff.  The think you'll have to do is make sure that the ivtv driver has the right options (bitrate, resolution, etc) for a dvd.  If your video isn't you can use ffmpeg to convert it (also on that page).

Handbrake is a dvd ripper + encoder.  Its big selling point is ease of encoding, and its threading support for x264 (awesome for dual cores).   That way, the dvd doesn't take up hard drive space on your disk before encoding it to mpeg4.

JP, Sorry this went so off topic!