Mike Leone on 3 Nov 2007 14:58:58 -0000

Re: Top posting and quoting (was Re: [PLUG] Hauppauge PVR-500 capture...)

Robert Spangler wrote:

>>  Considering that most mailers these days do threading, it is a pretty
>>  bad assumption that I need a remind of what people are talking bout with
>>  every message in the thread.
>
> It is also a bad assumption that everyone either threads or keeps read mail.

In my experience, it's only the people who read email in a threaded
manner who complain. Honestly. And (no offense) the only people I see
complain about top posting are on Linux-related mailing lists. The
music-related lists, the photography lists, the other technical lists
(such as my Windows and Active Directory lists) - I don't think I've
ever seen anyone complain about top-posting on those lists. They may
mention something about it in a FAQ, but I don't think anyone posts and
complains about others on the mailing lists top-posting (or almost
never, anyway).

Now me, I almost always bottom-post, as a matter of preference. But I
don't complain if others don't. If the thread actually interests me
enough so that I'm annoyed at a top posting, I almost always just ignore
it or go back and check out the rest of the thread (in case I've missed
something).

As for threading, many of the lists I follow these days seem to be
web-based (i.e., Yahoo or Google groups). I get them as mailings, but
apparently many don't. And more aggravating than top-posting? When folks
on these lists post things like "Oh, that question was just answered in
message #34561". :-) Not realizing that not everyone reads the list
through the web interface (which assigns messages those numbers). And of
course, I don't have a clue which message they're referring to.

At which point, I lose interest, and go on and do something else. :-)

>>  If I was going to campaign for something, it wouldn't be bottom posting,
>>  it would be trimming,
>
> I would have to agree with trimming.  I see too often messages being quoted
> only to find one or two words added.  Please lead the way. :)

Trimming is good.