Matthew Rosewarne on 3 Nov 2007 02:18:29 -0000

Re: Top posting and quoting (was Re: [PLUG] Hauppauge PVR-500 capture...)

On Friday 02 November 2007, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> The gotcha with the bottom posting mentality is that is assumes that I
> have no recollection of the proceeding message, even if I just read it.
> Considering that most mailers these days do threading, it is a pretty
> bad assumption that I need a remind of what people are talking bout with
> every message in the thread.

It's not really bottom-posting, but more like inline or interleaved posting.
It doesn't make much of a difference when the message you're replying to only
has one part (paragraph, point, etc.), but it makes a big difference when you
have a mail with several parts (like this one, even).  I use a threading MUA
and interleaved replies still make it far easier for me to follow what's
going on.

> If I was going to campaign for something, it wouldn't be bottom posting,
> it would be trimming, because the absolute worst thing someone can do it
> not trim, and then bottom post. It is both a waste of space, and a royal
> pain in the butt to get to the point of the message. If the message is
> appropriately trimmed, then top or bottom posting is pretty much just a
> matter of preference, and not worth complaining about.

I don't think anyone's advocating quoting the whole message and then putting
your replies on the bottom.  When you do trim your quotes and/or split them
into multiple parts, putting your reply below the quote just seems to better
demonstrate the connection between quote and reply.  I can't think of any
examples where I've seen someone trim & split a quoted message and then put
their replies above the quote; seems like it would be confusing to read.

I don't really see JP's comment as a complaint (as in, whining or criticism),
but instead as a request for some changes in style for everyone's sake, not
unlike requesting people use spellcheck or punctuation.  You don't _have_ to
do any of these things, and not doing them doesn't make you a despicable
villain, but doing them does make written discussion clearer.  It gets
annoying when requests like those get too numerous, but I don't think JP's
single post puts us in danger of that.

Anyway, it's not a huge issue, but a matter of convenience.  I think most of
us are on the same page already, so let's steer things back towards Linux.