Mag Gam on 3 Nov 2007 23:40:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] autofs question.

  • From: "Mag Gam" <magawake@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] autofs question.
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:40:36 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=3EKzPhRh9pZ2gr+F3m7Hf5K6HZUcctfUA7Zxb24RR3w=; b=RkfWuKy4y/veUHAMtPqYNUPPCwVolpBWHWOR16Mbe1SJ596tMl3/wWNDK7DrkCGqLOIbQ34cCdXSfg6IdlUepcTTJPJliqj90MTiW5dl53+JZa4pOSMtn7+m3AVQYpsUExbWbYymGtmB4hzecyj1p8N8Htfh5ZW6VBqt649cu3c=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Matt:

Cool. I can try that...

On 11/3/07, Matt Mossholder <matt@mossholder.com> wrote:
On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 18:07 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am new to autofs, and kind of learning Perl. I was asked to write
> something to make sure if our NFSed file systems are accessible. The
> only way I can think is, knowing the directories name in the exported
> filesystem, and 'cd' into it, to make sure its accessible. I am
> writing a perl script to traverse thru the filesystem and making sure
> I can access each filesystem. My question is, is there a way to find
> out all the directories on an exported autofs' filesystem?  Any
> techniques I can do to verify the autofs is working okay?
>
> TIA

The best way to determine what is out there in autofs land is to look at
the automount maps.  auto.master, auto.net, auto.misc.  Auto.master
should point out the rest of the maps, and then you can traverse them to
determine all the automounted directories.

autofs itself just sits around doing nothing, and can't really break.
What breaks is the exported directories on the remote systems (system
has crashed, nfs gets hosed, etc.) The only good way to test is to try
and get a file listing off each of the directories.

                --Matt