JP Vossen on 4 Nov 2007 22:04:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VMWare workstation on Gutsy host

> Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 17:04:25 -0400
> From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
>
> VMWare workstation traditionally has had problems on new Linux
> releases, because it requires kernel modules to be recompiled.  I am

True, but this really isn't that big a deal on Ubuntu if you've set it up right.

See http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-10/msg00347.html for what I hope are reasonably detailed and useful instructions for making this pretty trivial on Ubuntu.

> currently on Feisty, and would like to upgrade to Gutsy, but am > hesitant because I am not sure that VMWare workstation will run on it.

What version? I'd *guess* 6.x will run fine. I'd guess with a bit less certainty that 5.5.x will too. Anything older than those might be a problem.

A simple Google search turned up:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/09/26/how-to-install-vmware-server-on-ubuntu-710/
that someone used to install Workstation 6 per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=591495, which notes problems.

> Is anyone successfully running VMWare workstation on a Gutsy host?

Second vote for VMware Server. Sorry, I'm only running Workstation 5.5.x on CentOS-4.x.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.