schwepes on 5 Nov 2007 15:10:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] speaking of non-distro stuff...

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Art Alexion wrote:

> the default kubuntu install does not include firefox.  Konqueror is nice, but
> there are way too many web sites where it just doesn't work.
>
> But if you sudo aptitude install firefox, it wants to install gnome and much
> of the ubuntu-desktop metapackage -- almost 100 packages.
>
> So I grabbed firefox from the mozilla website.  But it doesn't run in gutsy
> because it wants libstdc++.so.5, but Gutsy includes 6 but not 5.
> Fortunately, I had 5 on another machine and could copy and link it.  But it
> shouldn't be this hard to install something like firefox.  it just shouldn't.

I had a similar problem with installing Firefox on Suse 7.0 except in
the opposite direction. I could see that the particular library existed
even though I did not recognize that the version number was wrong.
Thanks for a belated explanation as to why
my attempted upgrade kept failing.
You are right.  It should not be this hard to install.
This is why so many give in to Windows.
bs