Jonathan Bringhurst on 5 Nov 2007 16:36:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hack/Sign

  • From: "Jonathan Bringhurst" <fintler@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Hack/Sign
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:35:36 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=l1uWOqJW+corl96W4nlzNZxSb0mvY8VvrgWjeQfQe+Q=; b=ksYH2sIFADD7DKfHYgG64HMOVJ9xyiWnPL9pRiOXpc5vr2W2RloKofL8Hh/njL3bz3ztpIDfgH6tw0WmQiwNuuyxPuPA9UEjZYryEOuw+MbNLLhJ9/lVjMQ5x4QdXDejDQiju8xhrju7+UBmTHmVCd6j2fUL0SA35AITNdTWNFo=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

As Matthew said earlier, someone would miss the the PLUG/LOVE logo
because its new and not recognized. For the success of any logo, it
would have to be plastered on everything (yes, even on the website).
This would require it to be very simple.

As much as I love the idea of a complex Tux-Franklin holding up the
"L" in plug, it's not practical for a logo that we can place
everywhere. It also wouldn't be recognized quickly as it's a very
complex shape that requires more than just a glance for someone's
brain to process it.

I suggest we try to agree on a very simple logo, one that will look
good on everything from a half inch square location on photocopied
black and white letterhead to a full color 15ft highway sign. It's not
as easy as it would first appear. We should pick a simple logo. It
should be something scalable and quickly recognizable.

Also, I would consider the Tux-Franklin image to be more of a mascot
rather than a logo for the organization.

-Jon