Michael Greb on 7 Nov 2007 19:01:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hacking the XBOX

Brian Stempin wrote:
>> I did quite a while ago via the pull the HDD out after POST method.
>

> I'm attempting to go this route to repair my XBox.  Just out of curiosity:
> How do you mod your XBox with this method?  I've never heard of anybody
> using such a method for modding.

I don't believe it is possible anymore ;).  An ancient version of the
dashboard had a vulnerability with respect to how it handled fonts.  So
one just needed to get the Xbox to boot and unlock the HDD, then move
the HDD to another computer without disconnecting power (so that it
would remain unlocked).  You'd then mount the FATX file system and place
two specially crafted font files that exploited the buffer overflow to
launch a boot loader.  This is 3 or 4 years ago so finding an Xbox with
a vulnerable dashboard version that hasn't already been modded would
likely be near impossible.

--
Michael Greb
Linode.com, LLC