Art Alexion on 12 Nov 2007 15:21:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail - clarified

On Monday 12 November 2007 09:02:58 jeff wrote:
> To make the subject clear, this is what I'd like to do:
>
> Machine #1 --> Thunderbird POPs for mail
> Machines 2-5 --> ssh -Y to Machine #1 and use Thunderbird, but will
> settle for mutt
>

> This looks to be what I *need* to do
>
> Machine #1 --> fetchmail or equivalent POPs for mail, set up server,
> read w/Thunderbird
> Machines 2-5 --> ssh to Machine #1 and use mutt *or* POP/IMAP to server
>

> Do I have that right now?

Simpler than that.

After retrieving the mail to machine #1's IMAP server, machines #2-#5 (or any
othe machine you may want to use) can just read the mail through whatever
client you want by pointing to that IMAP server.  No ssh or screen sessions
needed.

The hard part is setting up the IMAP server on machine #1.