Art Alexion on 12 Nov 2007 15:15:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail

On Sunday 11 November 2007 07:06:32 Jason Costomiris wrote:
> Have you considered using gmail for this?  Gmail lets you pickup via
> POP from up to 5 accounts.  You can read online in their web ui, pull
> from them via POP or IMAP too.

This is a fantastically easy solution.  Thanks Jason.

Added benefit is the gmail spam filters.  I have this alexion.com account that
I have been using since 1994.  From 1994-2003, the address was part of a
number of unobscured mailto links on a number of web sites.  The address gets
200-300 mails a day with less than a dozen not spam.

I had forwarded the address to a yahoo account for the purpose of taking
advantage of their spam filters.  yahoo caught about 80%, but had problems
with false positives.  So far, gmail seems to be catching about 98% and no
false positives.  Using IMAP to check the account from work, home and my Treo
is the proverbial icing on the cake.