Jon Nelson on 14 Nov 2007 22:55:38 -0000

[PLUG] Knoppix / startup / /etc/skel question

Hi All,

I have remastered my own version of Knoppix and am running into a
problem with trying to customize Firefox and KDE.

Everything I have read say to boot to KDE in a chrroted enviroment make
your changes to KDE and then exit.  Then move the knoppix home dir
to /etc/skel.  I have done this and made sure the perms were correct ,
but it had no effect.  With KDE I have been able to add buttons to the
panel by following the above procedure, but leaving the .kde folder
in /home/knoppix.

This however doesn't work when I try to change to default behavior for
what happens when a thumb drive is inserted (K->Control
Center->Peripherials->Storage Media).  When you make a change here it is
stored in the file .kde/share/config/medianotifierrc, which is not
present if no changes have been made.  When I boot into Knoppix this
file is no longer there, but is still in /etc/skel.

With Firefox I am trying to set the home page and I have the same
results with the above procedure.  It is also suggested that
the .mozilla dir is copied to /usr/share/knoppix/profile, but this has
no effect either.

The file that supposedly controls the transfering of all these files at
startup is /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession.  It's a pretty long bash
script that has a few rsync commands in it.  All of them use
--ignore-existing which should leave any exiting files alone in the
target dir, right?

If I chroot into my Knoppix dir and startx from there everything works
like a champ.

To try to get around this problem I added a couple of commands to
my /home/knoppix/.bash_profile, but still no joy.

Jon