Jon Nelson on 15 Nov 2007 20:15:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Knoppix / startup / /etc/skel question

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 14:04 -0500, Brent Saner wrote:
> well, two GREAT books that provide remastering advice are the O'Reilly
> "Knoppix Hacks" and the ExtremeTech "Hacking Knoppix."
>
> at the risk of unlawful duplication, let me quote the section of the
> o'reilly book that talks about this particular stage:

> _Change Desktop Environment Settings_
>
> If you dig further into the 45xsession script, you might notice a
> section full of rsync commands similar to the following:
>
> #Copy profiles if not already present
> rsync -Ha
> --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{.acrorc,.Xdefaults,.gimp*,.gconf*,.bashrc,.nessus*,.links,.local,.lynx*,.qt,.xine,tmp} $HOME/ 2>/dev/null
> [ "$USER" = "knoppix" ] && rsync -Ha
> --ignore-existing /usr/share/knoppix/profile/{.acrorc,.Xdefaults,.bashrc,.nessus*,.links,.lynx*,.qt,.xine,tmp} $HOME/ 2>/dev/null
> [ "$USER" = "knoppix" -a -f /usr/share/knoppix/profile/.fonts.cache-1
> $HOME/ 2>/dev/null
>
> These series of commands copy default settings from the /etc/skel
> directory to /home/knoppix if they don't already exist. To change the
> appearance of KDE, click K Menu -> Settings ->Control Center and make
> your changes in the Appearance & Themes section. Once the wallpaper,
> themes, color scheme, and the desktop itself are arranged to your
> liking, open a terminal and synchronize your changes with the
> source/KNOPPIX filesystem.
>
> knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo rsync
> -a /home/knoppix/ /mnt/hda1/source/KNOPPIX/etc/skel/

I had done all this already, but somehow a portion was being overwritten
by a script somewhere.

I did find the answer in the links you provided in your first post.  In
the forums I found this link:

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/article/How-to-create-a-custom-thin-client-Knoppix-boot-CD-with-the-Citrix-ICA-client

On the page he talks about saving your user settings.  In a nutshell,
boot to Knoppix configure KDE (and any other program for that matter)
and then run 'saveconfig'.  It creates two files configs.tbz and
knoppix.sh which I saved to a thumbdrive.  I then saved it to
my /knoppix/master/KNOPPIX folder.  Your saved settings are then loaded
when Knoppix boots.

Thanks for all the help!

Jon