Malcolm J Harwood on 20 Nov 2007 00:49:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mod_perl and dynamic HTML generation

On Monday 19 November 2007, Mag Gam wrote:

> ok, I too came across Mason.
>
> Couple of questions for it...
> 1) How easy is it to configure?

It's fairly simple if you know basic apache configuration. I believe you can
run it pure-CGI without any apache configuration but I've never done it, so I
don't know how easy or otherwise it is. Given how simple the apache
configuration was I can't imagine it being complex.

If you're used to mod_perl, it's trivial.

On my mandriva box it was just a matter of installing the package and you have
a basic out of the box configuration. I would expect RH to either be as easy
or completely suck depending on the release (RH used to ship a dev version of
mod_perl that wasn't compatible with anything, but I believe they fixed that
finally). I believe debian has it packaged, but I'm not sure about ubuntu.

The "basic configuration" from the packages generally means calling your mason
files ".mhtml", but you can change that easily enough.

> 2) Can I connect postgresql + mason together (I guess my question is, is it
> easy to use DBI)?

Yes, standard perl DBI works just fine.

> 3) How similar is it to PHP?

I've never used PHP (really) so I can't comment on that. I knew perl before I
started using mason, so it was very easy for me to pick up.

There's also a number of other perl templating systems, but to date I've found
mason the easiest to use.

I have a mod_perl/mason/mysql stack on one of the sites I maintain, so if you
have any questions, drop me a line and I'll do what I can to help.