JP Vossen on 21 Nov 2007 22:30:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Unicode headers on Ubuntu are in libicu36-dev

>Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:22:34 -0500
>From: Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com>

One of the most fantastically-useful programs in Debian (and Ubuntu)
is apt-file. It downloads the lists of what files are in what
packages and makes a searchable DB. Unlike dpkg --listfiles or
--search, it knows about every package in the APT repository, not
just the packages you have installed.

That sounds cool, thanks.

>Update the list of packages & files: > $> apt-file update > >What's in libicu36-dev?: > $> apt-file show libicu36-dev > libicu36-dev: usr/bin/derb > libicu36-dev: usr/bin/genbrk > libicu36-dev: usr/bin/gencnval > (and so on...)

I'd use something like:
	dpkg -L coreutils

>Where the hell is unicode/uchar.h???: > $> apt-file search unicode/uchar.h > libicu36-dev: usr/include/unicode/uchar.h

I'd use something like:
	dpkg-query -S /bin/ls

Aside from the fact that apt-file will search the entire repo (installed or not), but apt*, dpkg* tools only search the stuff you have installed, how is it different or better? Not that it isn't cool, I'm just wondering if I'm missing other implications?

This is my only gripe with the advanced package tool (apt); the "interface" (and I use that term very loosely in this case) is spread among far too many separate, and in many cases obscure, tools. RPM is a lot easier. You have rpm, now yum, and maybe rpm-build; that's pretty much it. Apt includes but is not limited to:
apt-cache
apt-cdrom
apt-config
apt-extracttemplates
apt-file
apt-ftparchive
apt-get
apt-key
apt-sortpkgs
debconf
debconf-apt-progress
debconf-communicate
debconf-copydb
debconf-escape
debconf-getlang
debconf-get-selections
debconf-loadtemplate
debconf-mergetemplate
debconf-set-selections
debconf-show
dpkg
dpkg-awk
dpkg-cross
dpkg-deb
dpkg-dev
dpkg-dev-el
dpkg-divert
dpkg-ftp
dpkg-multicd
dpkg-preconfigure
dpkg-query
dpkg-reconfigure
dpkg-repack
dpkg-ruby
dpkg-sig
dpkg-split
dpkg-statoverride
dpkg-www

Granted this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, since a bunch of the apt tools above are either APIs or extra third-party tools (which existence is a Good Thing). But it's bloody confusing. Apt is also arguably better than RPM in terms of capabilities, especially for seamless upgrades. But that has a lot to do with Debian policy and only a little to do with technical details.

Stepping down from my soapbox now... JP

PS--I have about 3 pages of documentation and 200+ lines of shell code wrapper on the topic of apt/rpm/yum. One of these days I'll HTML-ize that all and post it on my site.
JP Vossen, CISSP |:::======| jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions |=========| http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.