JP Vossen on 22 Nov 2007 00:33:31 -0000

[PLUG] The Amazon Kindle

OK, so there is a lot of hype. But I am *not* an early adopter, and this thing interests me *far* more than an Apple iAnything.

The DRM is a Bad Thing, but I wonder if it's realistic to think that a non-DRM device would gain any acceptance from the big publishing players. But obviously Amazon has the clout to force them to play for now, then maybe back off on the DRM later ala Amazon DRM-less MP3_Downloads. And it turns out the Amazon remembers what Kindle e-books you've paid for and you can re-download them at any time. It also sounds like you can connect it to a PC (though this is never required for anything) to back stuff up.

I've also seen bits about it being possible to sync over (via USB or $0.10 email) plain text (and other formats in more steps), so The Baen Free Library, Project Gutenberg(.org), Google Books and more would then be accessible.

The only other problem is the lack of a backlight, for reading in bed w/o annoying your SO. Not sure how water/sand proof it is either.

Comments?
JP

Links:
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA The Amazon Kindle
http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983 The Future of Reading
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/21/1931203 Amazon's Kindle Sells Out In 5.5 Hours
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/20/1559255 Kindle Versus The iPhone
http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,139829/printable.html Amazon Kindle Review: Igniting Interest in E-Books?
http://www.mobipocket.com/freebooks/Default.aspx Free Kindle e-books
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 Free Kindle e-books
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/11/e-book-readers.html E-Book Readers At A Glance

Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.