Matthew Rosewarne on 22 Nov 2007 01:23:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] The Amazon Kindle

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, JP Vossen wrote:
> The DRM is a Bad Thing, but I wonder if it's realistic to think that a
> non-DRM device would gain any acceptance from the big publishing
> players.  But obviously Amazon has the clout to force them to play for
> now, then maybe back off on the DRM later ala Amazon DRM-less
> MP3_Downloads.  And it turns out the Amazon remembers what Kindle
> e-books you've paid for and you can re-download them at any time.  It
> also sounds like you can connect it to a PC (though this is never
> required for anything) to back stuff up.

It doesn't really make sense that Amazon would push against DRM if they can
make money selling DRM'd content.  If you buy their product with DRM, what
incentive is there for Amazon to fight it?

> I've also seen bits about it being possible to sync over (via USB or
> $0.10 email) plain text (and other formats in more steps), so The Baen
> Free Library, Project Gutenberg(.org), Google Books and more would then
> be accessible.

From what I've seen, it doesn't do PDFs.  I'm not sure how you could call it a
book reader if it doesn't read one of the most common publishing formats in
the world.

> The only other problem is the lack of a backlight, for reading in bed
> w/o annoying your SO.  Not sure how water/sand proof it is either.

It's also an 800x600 screen.  For $400, why not buy yourself a refurbished
laptop instead?  That would be far more useful than any locked-down eBook
device.

%!PS: I'm not entirely sure why people keep trying to revive the eBook
concept.  They come along every few years and always fail, usually for the
same reasons.  If we're going to try to imitate what we see in Inspector
Gadget, why can't we have the helicopter-hat instead?