Matthew Rosewarne on 22 Nov 2007 01:12:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Unicode headers on Ubuntu are in libicu36-dev

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, JP Vossen wrote:
> I'd use something like:
> 	dpkg -L coreutils
(...snip...)
> I'd use something like:
> 	dpkg-query -S /bin/ls

dpkg -L or -S only work on installed packages.  dpkg -S won't help you very
much if there's something you need but don't know what package you need to
install to get it.

> Aside from the fact that apt-file will search the entire repo (installed
> or not), but apt*, dpkg* tools only search the stuff you have installed,
> how is it different or better?  Not that it isn't cool, I'm just
> wondering if I'm missing other implications?

The apt-* tools deal with all packages in known repos, whereas the dpkg-*
packages deal only with currently-installed packages.  APT itself is actually
implemented on top of dpkg (though not strictly dependent on it), much like
yum is implemented on top of RPM.

> This is my only gripe with the advanced package tool (apt); the
> "interface" (and I use that term very loosely in this case) is spread
> among far too many separate, and in many cases obscure, tools.  RPM is a
> lot easier.  You have rpm, now yum, and maybe rpm-build; that's pretty
> much it.  Apt includes but is not limited to:
(...snip...)
> Granted this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, since a bunch
> of the apt tools above are either APIs or extra third-party tools (which
> existence is a Good Thing).  But it's bloody confusing.  Apt is also
> arguably better than RPM in terms of capabilities, especially for
> seamless upgrades.  But that has a lot to do with Debian policy and only
> a little to do with technical details.

A fair portion of APT is actually implemented in libapt-pkg.  Unfortunately,
the architecture of APT doesn't really make it suitable to being extended
easily, so you see 3rd parties making APT-based tools into their own
programs.  In general though, there aren't many commands that a user really
needs to know.  If you know aptitude, that's most of who you'll ever need.

RPM had some serious neglect for quite a while, whereas apt was always getting
improved.  RedHat nowadays is currently revitalising RPM development, so
presumably it will get closer to technical parity with dpkg.

%!PS: However, RPM will never have Super Cow Powers.