Doug Crompton on 25 Nov 2007 06:59:36 -0000

[PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

Just a general question regarding Veizon residential DSL. I was at a
friends house tonight trying to get his security DVR visible to the
internet. It plays fine on the local network.

The modem is a Westel 4 port/wireless router and the configuration is very
unintuative. I did manange to get it set up though with the DVR set at a
LAN static address and port forwarding to its IP and port. I tried
different ports like 8080, 6520.

Again this is fine locally, the DVR puts up a login HTML screen, but it
seems nothing gets through when coming in through the internet. I even
tried setting up an FTP server but was not able to connect. At that point
we were tired and gave up for the night.

Googling port issues on Verizon gives mixed messages. Some say all
incoming ports are blocked, which I would not believe and others say just
port 80, which would not be an issue in this case.

If it were me I would get a dumb DSL modem and use a decent DSL router,
like a Buffalo but he does not have that expertise.

Any ideas?