Isaac Bennetch on 25 Nov 2007 13:09:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

  • From: "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:08:21 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=ZupAG6RtAP3oC+9IWnQlBJvgq1m+AAniMP1bNjyLOhI=; b=i4ia5LRx6q4O9bX17XW0JT1O+jtxnRdYjb192mcAFgXvjzn2GUDYUQDcgcNXssqXCZebCpDrnDCu8da5HKr6r193wl7kuXubP3damtggQ7Vd+XL3wZN/p6GdqFp0fhW8MrFWqDG8pQSXUmgrX0DTmoLSHDB3zoYDa6DPyAmwT3E=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

hi. Brent answered this well if it's a fios connection; I had DSL for
years so I'll deal with that side.

On 11/25/07, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> The modem is a Westel 4 port/wireless router

Mine was a Westell single-port with no wireless but that should be
irrelevant past opening up the router. It was also pretty easy to
configure, i guess their interfaces have gone backwards...

> Googling port issues on Verizon gives mixed messages. Some say all
> incoming ports are blocked, which I would not believe and others say just
> port 80, which would not be an issue in this case.

Right, for my residential DSL connection, port 80 was blocked (not
https traffic, though) along with 21, iirc -- I didn't test any of the
mail ports but everything else I tried was wide open. Ran a custom
application over something high (9000s) with no trouble, as well as
VNC, https, and many others all worked once I opened up the port on
the router.

> Any ideas?
My Westell had some sort of logging ability, perhaps you can find some
way of showing what activities are being attempted and denied and work
backwards from there. My guess is that you simply haven't gotten the
router to play nicely.

One problem I had was with the internal name resolution on a certain
machine with a DHCP address; the IP address would renew and sometimes
move to a new address yet the hostname (http://foo) would not follow;
yet the router's NAT worked off of its hostname map -- so sometimes my
host would be unreachable from the outside. I doubt that's a common
problem, though.

Try hitting Google for a guide on the router, hopefully there's simply
some step you've missed...as I recall it took me a bit of time to get
mine working properly because the options aren't well documented.

Good luck