Brian Vagnoni on 26 Nov 2007 17:13:22 -0000

RE: Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

Just because they can doesn't mean they are. In my experience it's more a function of the westtell modem. They have a remote admin port on the device there is a much greater potential for abuse there than hosting your own website at a fraction of your download speed.

The asymetrical nature of the line is a much greater determining factor in whether or not you can host you own website. There is no good reason to block incoming port 80 with an upload speed of 128k. Other than they may feel that once a customer sees how really slow their line is they will be disatisified and look to cable.

>From The Phone of  Brian Vagnoni

-----Original Message-----
From: "Doug Crompton" <doug@crompton.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: 11/26/07 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

How does this statement, made by Verizon, fit into the scheme of thing?

http://www.netcaucus.org/events/2005/telecomvoip/one-pagers/verizon-voip2005.pdf

Doug

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Brian Vagnoni wrote:

> There not blocked try putting a real router behind the westtell and you
> mite be surprised. if not send me a private message open up you remote
> admin port on your device, set the password, give me th e password, and
> your ip and I will open them up for you.
>
> Brian vagnoni

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *