Brent Saner on 25 Nov 2007 08:19:05 -0000

[PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 03:18:56 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=MGJ2+23sndOgGs58o33B1XqQZxebv5VtmHJBFnmd7D0=; b=DlMvcZQLWA+WJ+MHrcJoM6z8riCrG9ynHiYOaQOeLVkdPhS6QU/vNAEmlKwHUfMlExD0t+3LDi0JXr3A400PppUv5ar4af3UGGmXV2MjIJc+QkuJxtaYDrwlCy3HUu2hkgN6qyn2dUGGKBUnJaX9g4CdcNKddwx1EM0uQ5EpUgQ=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

i know this is a good way to get me excommunicated, start a war, and all-around start unpleasantness (kidding! ....kind of.), but i don't think i've seen a thread on it yet.

(takes deep breath)
okay.

VI(M) or EMACS?

i ONLY ask out of curiosity.

okay, it's also out of selfish reasons. i want to mature beyond pico/nano but my mind isn't made up either way yet.

READ BELOW FIRST:

so, if you could reply with the CLI text editor you use (if it's a fork or derived project, list the original editor), at least 5 good reasons i should use it, and at least 5 good reasons i SHOULDN'T (yes, you read me right) use it. in other words, give me a completely balanced list (only as many goods as bads) of what you like and dislike about your preferred editor.

for some reason, this is one of the touchiest subjects in the entire *nix community, so let's all be civil about it and stay objective. they're just lines of code, okay? okay. :)

that being said, let's get ready to rumble!

this isn't a popularity contest; rather, it's more meant to be a survey of our community, and i ask you all because i trust you to be unbiased and objective and helpful. :)

--
Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols: no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.