James Barrett on 25 Nov 2007 16:14:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 03:18:56AM -0500, Brent Saner wrote:

snip

> (takes deep breath)
> okay.
>

> VI(M) or EMACS?

snip

> okay, it's also out of selfish reasons. i want to mature beyond pico/nano
> but my mind isn't made up either way yet.

I have not used it enough to give a completely biased assesment, but
here goes!

VI(M):

1) VIM was already installed on nearly every Linux system I have laid my
hands upon (EMACS must be installed separately a lot of times)

2) Since the above is true, that means when I am finished learning it, I
will be able to edit files on mostly any *NIX  machine I happen to gain
access to wihtout the necessity of having to install emacs or nano.

3) After checking a few quick "apt-cache show ..." for vim, vim-common,
vim-runtime, emacs22, emacs22-common, etcetc... it seems that Emacs is a
lot bigger than VIM.

4) Compared to Pico, there are many fewer memory leaks with VIM...

5) VIM is fast - the name even sounds fast, doesnt it?

VIM downsides:

1) It has bee very difficult for me to switch over from nano/emacs to
VIM.  The UI has some getting used to...

2) Emacs is still my preferred editor for things like HTML or the such
where I need to think more about what I'm coding and less about what I
need to press to start typing and what i need to press to be able to
delete a few characters or move the cursor around...

3) It is quite easy to screw up a config file if you are using VIM and
have little experience editing with it.  I can remember during my early
Linux days (circa January 2004) when I would try to use VIM and end up
with a file that has about 40 repeated lines of code, and not know why
it happened or how to remove them.

4) If I am not mistaken, emacs has some sort of email reader/writer.  I
am Not sure if VIM has something like that.

5) AFAIK, VIM Does not run on my blackberry, although neither does EMACS
or Nano... (this crapchute of a PDA will be held onto until February,
when my service contract is up and I am hopefully getting a Palm with
Linux).

> and i ask you all because i trust you to be unbiased and
> objective and helpful. :)

Unbiased?  Objective?  Surely you jest...

I have recently started to take this leap from nano to emacs to VIM.
When developing Debiosk I needed to edit files inside the Live
environment to do some testing and VIM was all that I had installed
(mind you, the ISO is only ~110MB, and I am trying to get that to be
even smaller).

Disclaimer: This email was composed with nano...