Eric on 25 Nov 2007 20:41:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

Brent Saner wrote:

> VI(M) or EMACS?
>
> so, if you could reply with the CLI text editor you use (if it's a fork
> or derived project, list the original editor), at least 5 good reasons i
> should use it, and at least 5 good reasons i SHOULDN'T
>
> Brent Saner

Brent:

I've used both but have far more experience with VI(m)  I tried to learn more
about emacs in the 1994-5 era but VI just worked better for me.  I'm not
extraordinarily biased either way - currently I use JEdit for most of my editing
if I have a GUI to use.

Pro:

1. vi is on every UNIX/Linux/BSD/OSX system so if you need it it's there.  VIM
is a super-set of vi but for most common editing tasks at the command line vi is
sufficient.

2. A lot of the commands are right under your fingers with a single keystroke
(disclaimer: I'm a trained touch-typist from Army Clerk-Typist school and early
college.)

3. VIM is very customizable with macros, multiple buffers, split screens, etc.

4. VIM handles syntax highlighting for a bunch of languages

5. I believe the learning curve is easier than for emacs (my experience.)

Con:

1. Until you get used to using the escape key frequently and the idea of modes
you make lots of goofy mistakes.  (Fortunately the undo feature works well in VIM.)

2. It's the editor of "the beast" if you're into biblical prophecy (VI VI VI - heh).

3. If you're used to the extensions of VIM then plain old vi is a bit of a pain.

4 & 5. Seriously, I have no other drawbacks to using VIM - I'm sure they're
there but I'm a person who finds ways around the roadblocks or lives with them
and then promptly forgets that they were/are even there until somebody points
them out to me.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas