Jonathan Bringhurst on 25 Nov 2007 20:40:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

  • From: "Jonathan Bringhurst" <fintler@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:40:05 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=Ni3So1QeNoxDDR10BWLrtaerUZ8ltJNPUPIkdJzss5g=; b=X554XzLTkGKw/ok2oQhrk4U9swYd7BcFuNFLpgHTR81fcFzsj3jVWolFCj1fkYV0fCZ2abaIqhkhlL1oUMQFyB2Poly78CAl3fIu3KguvxBzXCjZeIfxHdi7U6acJwI4tZe8qbTdUMgtm2Bf7ZSrZ5Uxzz1oK+QI2R+aiMkl5eA=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Well, emacs is a great operating system, but as a text editor I find
it lacking...  (sarcasm)

On a more serious note, I really only use vi/vim because I first
started out using the evil ed text editor (the precursor to ex) and
vim seemed like the best upgrade path. I don't really have any more
reasons past that and others have already covered the obvious stuff
earlier in the thread.

I've seen people do a lot of sweet things with emacs but for some
reason I could never really get into it. I think the whole war (if you
can even call it that :) between vi/vim and emacs is mostly out of
ignorance. The people who fight for vim are just too lazy to learn
emacs (and vice-versa). Considering how many people use both editors,
they both get the job done, and well at that.

-Jon