zuzu on 26 Nov 2007 05:33:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:33:50 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=PNYbTIYwS4h3P139cmNNetO8SihPiZGe2cs0T2Q4wGQ=; b=wHnwVGwgcM//k1UXBEmp4dS5AA8a5a9k0wsyT5eaXHBfQTWpckTZ78GTrmG+MTpBlB85EUmx2qcb5lfm4yELJ+e/B7DhTMFdKpRDxSQiQObvY1bi6BvJxdcELjJ063O0JJZNbx516rciMaiKyitGEEKdEt72nPmxItS/c4Qwbmw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On Nov 25, 2007 3:06 AM, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm guessing it's fi-os internet?
> if so, they do a LOT of port blocking.
> a.
> lot.

can you elaborate on this?  my untested (still need to setup that ISP
auditing box) understanding was that inbound 80 was blocked and
outbound 21 (except for their smtp domain), but that's it.  basically,
don't run a webserver or a mailserver, unless you're willing to pay
dyndns or no-ip to do port-mapping for you, or use non-standard ports.
 (word up about the 8080 being open though.)

or we could all run I2P proxies and circumvent ISP controls -- other
than simply bandwidth -- completely.

p.s. for those of you with FiOS; they finally added symmetric 15/15
for $64.99 in PA as of November 21st.