Andrew Gwozdziewycz on 26 Nov 2007 21:47:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

  • From: "Andrew Gwozdziewycz" <apgwoz@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:47:15 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=gEHMKr/EMXKyWrgsjS9y6z7NvUKO2WDR8F/UtY8UsmM=; b=PjiI6bB9fy3oFfYVq+WZrbezrrHVwG/J6idH1OL4Q9b4O5bADblMMQdb7WL0efFU/iQPgflrTC3VLMq6KKBiTo0qU6KplWGBzeLcL5h0tqLhZyfR0HfG3zCoHMERAyIA5WOtukQYE1QzDcPXyvWXyJKuPxxO+hR/72cDxGsHQgs=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

> 2. also nearly impossible (impossible?) to close an instance without
> typing "yes" for every changed file if you don't want to save them.  I
> guess most people like this.

I didn't read through all 20 of the responses, so if this is repeated
I apologize, but you can save 2 keystrokes by using this in your
.emacs

(fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

I vote emacs.

Pros:
1. super super customizable
2. never have to leave it (I use it for irc, all of my editing,
sometimes shell stuff, I could use it for much more)
3. huge community of hacks, programs and useful modes
4. the best way to edit LISP/Scheme (even without SLIME)
5. M-x tetris

Cons:
1. steap learning curve
2. dealing with people complaining that it is it's own OS.
3. too much you can do with it, too much to customize
4. non portable in the sense that you can't have your .emacs on every machine
5. there's a seperated community of XEmacs vs GNU emacs users. I for
one like GNU emacs, but the two are incompatible and you run into some
difficulties now and then.

--
Andrew Gwozdziewycz
apgwoz@gmail.com