Robert Spangler on 28 Nov 2007 14:32:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] APT and RPM Packager Lookup Tables

On Wed November 28 2007 09:02, Bob Heise wrote:

>  Den Wednesday 28 November 2007 14.40.20 skrev Robert Spangler:
>  > On Wed November 28 2007 02:07, JP Vossen wrote:
>  > >  I just got around to converting my package manager cheat sheet to
>  > > HTML and putting it up on my site.  Please let me know if you find any
>  > > errors...
>  >
>  > Not an error but to avoid being prompted every time you run yum
>  > install/remove <package>  there is the '-y' switch that answers yes for
>  > you at the prompt.
>
>  What's wrong with the good old yes command, that they need to add a -y
> feature to yum?

Well for starters, if you are installing something you normally want it
installed.  After you run 'yum install <arg>' yum stops and ask if you really
want to install these packages.  Since I want this software install there is
no reason for yum to stop and ask me so by doing 'yum -y install <arg>' yum
doesn't stop and wait for me to type 'y' to continue installing the software.
The default answer is 'N' so just hitting enter will stop the install.

I guess another one would be if you are running a cron job to install
something.  Without the switch the process would halt until a key is hit.
99.999% of the time you wouldn't want that.

There are 2 very good reason for the switch.
Allow you mind to wonder, I'm sure you can come up with even more.  :)

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!