Stephen Gran on 28 Nov 2007 14:40:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] APT and RPM Packager Lookup Tables

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:32:22AM -0500, Robert Spangler said:
> On Wed November 28 2007 09:02, Bob Heise wrote:
>
> >  Den Wednesday 28 November 2007 14.40.20 skrev Robert Spangler:
> >  > On Wed November 28 2007 02:07, JP Vossen wrote:
> >  > >  I just got around to converting my package manager cheat sheet to
> >  > > HTML and putting it up on my site.  Please let me know if you find any
> >  > > errors...
> >  >
> >  > Not an error but to avoid being prompted every time you run yum
> >  > install/remove <package>  there is the '-y' switch that answers yes for
> >  > you at the prompt.
> >
> >  What's wrong with the good old yes command, that they need to add a -y
> > feature to yum?
>
> Well for starters, if you are installing something you normally want it
> installed.  After you run 'yum install <arg>' yum stops and ask if you really
> want to install these packages.  Since I want this software install there is
> no reason for yum to stop and ask me so by doing 'yum -y install <arg>' yum
> doesn't stop and wait for me to type 'y' to continue installing the software.
> The default answer is 'N' so just hitting enter will stop the install.
>
> I guess another one would be if you are running a cron job to install
> something.  Without the switch the process would halt until a key is hit.
> 99.999% of the time you wouldn't want that.

The question is why not use yes:

yes | yum install foo

Will do (mostly) the same thing.

The reason you don't want to use yes, I assume, is that at some point
the maintainer scripts might stop and prompt you, and blindly answering
yes to that question could be catastrophically wrong.  Seperating that
into an "only answer yes to prompts that come from the package manager"
seems reasonable to me.
|  Stephen Gran                  | You will be misunderstood by everyone.  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |