JP Vossen on 28 Nov 2007 07:07:22 -0000

[PLUG] APT and RPM Packager Lookup Tables

I just got around to converting my package manager cheat sheet to HTML and putting it up on my site. Please let me know if you find any errors...

http://www.jpsdomain.org/linux/apt.html

Packager Lookup Table

This is intended as a lookup table to allow someone familiar with one package tool to figure out how to do things in another one. It's not a feature comparison per se, thought it looks like one.

It's also not intended to settle any package manager wars. After working with RPM for several years, then switching to Debian and Ubuntu, I prefer APT over RPM. But many of the perceived strengths of APT are actually more due to Debian policy than technical superiority. Prior to the advent of yum, APT was clearly superior. Post-yum, you can argue either way, though as I said I prefer APT these days.

[... table here ...]

Apt Related Tools

So having said all of that, the downside to apt and friends is that apt has so many friends. The following table is a list of all the friends of apt I'm aware of. There's probably at least a few missing.

[... table here ...]

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.