Robert Spangler on 29 Nov 2007 15:41:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] APT and RPM Packager Lookup Tables

On Thu November 29 2007 10:00, Dan Widyono wrote:

>  > OK, I'm not really sure why so far everyone thinks the command line
>  > switch is such a bad idea.  Mostly because what I'm reading here the
>  > ones complaining/yelling the most against it don't use it on a daily
>  > basis.
>
>  I don't know how you jumped to "everyone" based on past replies, but...

I am sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

>  I use yum -y manually (to save typing, to prevent prompting when I'm away
>  from the keyboard).
>
>  I don't use yum -y in batch mode (e.g. cron) in order to make sure errors
> are caught by a human (via yum.log and e-mail) and not glossed over.

OK, now tell me the difference between use "-y" when you step away from the
keyboard and using it with batching/cron jobs?  Either way you need to look
at the log file/email to see if there were any errors.  On second thought
don't answer.

You and I are happy with the way we use YUM and to date I can say I have not
encountered any issues with what I do or don't do.

>  I use yum on a daily basis.

As do I.

--

Regards