K.S. Bhaskar on 3 Dec 2007 21:35:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:35:08 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=QlfBrABRwJLo8EIbzGxrkLT+ladfoBI1BkbgvwDelzE=; b=QGKzChPrrRybx83kwagZktUlTnO61DNUHTSHp02qeuSFC3Avs5iVjWC2YGScstZeAdu5HvHC4vJlCbBW/rneA8orc1wYk20hEOOmVaI1os5M/amerANClzuJFKYB26SLj+jttwMrKcz3UT8Xcj3jKsiD8D9LQ2Q/dz4hAJNEJ/U=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Bling sells.  Many years ago, I had someone (who should have known better) tell me that a very capable piece of software was klunky because it didn't have beautifully textured buttons, which its less capable competitor sported.  I couldn't believe my ears.  But then, at least he was being honest in sharing his opinion with me, and this engineer has since come to the conclusion that people value bling even if has no practical value.

<Flamebait> Why else would anyone buy an Apple product? </Flamebait> 8-)

Apropos compiz, paraphrasing Mark Twain on smoking, it's easy to give up compiz because I have done it so many times!  Last week, it really screwed up KDE on my AMD64 Gutsy - just simple stuff like knetworkmanager refusing to start up, and the power manager refusing to run in the system tray.  Things I take for granted.  As well as other peculiarities, like having two copies of each desktop under the Desktop previewer in my task bar.  Oh, yes, the bling was nice.  But it's got to work right before it can have value.  [At least that's something that Apple understands.]

-- Bhaskar