Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Dec 2007 01:57:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

On Monday 03 December 2007, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Not trying to be argumentative, but have you actually looked at the code
> for these things redhat pushes?  pm-utils is still mostly a joke,
> network manager can barely manage to blow it's nose without wetting the
> bed, and so on.

NetworkManager may be limited, and was quite buggy earlier on, but I would say
it beats the pants off of what we had before, which wasn't really much.  I
find for basic tasks it works very well, and is *much* easier than anything
else I've used.

> Not trying to be massively cynical, but I think I'll still take
> community supported code over corporate self indulgence any day.  And I
> would really love to see people get back to thinking about real
> architecture issues, instead of just tacking a gui on top of a poorly
> thought out subsystem (yes, network manager, I'm looking at you).

Oh, certainly.  Most of this stuff is being hosted a FreeDesktop.org, but Red
Hat tends to hire people who hack on it.  I'd say that's a lot better than
developing a replacement WM & X server in secret, then suddenly dumping it on
everyone when releasing a new version of your distro...