Stephen Gran on 4 Dec 2007 01:26:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 08:08:07PM -0500, jeff said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 05:18:25PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne said:
> >> It seems Novell (who created Compiz and the awful XGL in total
> >> secrecy) may not have anything better to spend their time on,
> >
> > Yes, compiz is a terrible window manager.
>
> I just want to clarify that, when bringing up Compiz, I was stating that
> I didn't understand the attraction.  I wasn't commenting on it as a WM,
> its code, or the people who use it.

Fair enough.  The real point of compiz, IMO, is to show off some
features of newer Xorg releases that are important in other ways.
Partial rendering gives you nice FPS rates and all that cute stuff, but
it also gives you usable X forwarding across slow network connections.
The acceleration architecture promises to bring a lot more modularity
across drivers, so that even relatively slow chipsets can support GL
apps in at least a modest way (and not totally lock your screen and so
on).  That some people are focused on the bling is, well, something for
those people to be interested in.  The advances in recent Xorg's that
compiz plays with are really rather cool in their own right.  I just
wish we had a showpiece for those who cared about bling that was also
vaguely useful.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Sank heaven for leetle curls.           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |