Art Alexion on 7 Dec 2007 17:44:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Eating Crow with OOO

On Thursday 06 December 2007 13:42:10 JP Vossen wrote:
> The "best" I've found is the Crippleware Kiwi Windows Log Viewing
> tool:           http://www.kiwisyslog.com/log-viewer-info.php
>
> My other solutions are to either cut the data into sections that fit or
> to remove and summarize the most frequent event, and try again, until
> the rest of the data fits.

Ultimately, the KiwiLogView works.  There is a Linux and Windows version.  I
put the Linux version on my desktop, and installed the Windows version on the
server.  I don't know if the beta is crippled like the free release version,
but I installed that in hope.

The Linux version consists of the self-contained binary executable — no
installation needed., needs to be made executable.  GTK based.  It does not
seem to play well with files on Samba shares, at least under Gnome.

The spreadsheet solution was not viable for these logs as they tend to
comprise about 500k lines, and the maximum rows in OOO, Gnumeric or Excel is
about 65k.

Thanks for the tip.