Marty Skitch on 11 Dec 2007 13:48:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert - a little OT

What is it with those  "Free Public Wifi" that are peer-to-peer?  There's one at the office where I work and just wondered if anyone know anything about them.

Aaron Mulder wrote:
So you can run an open wireless and still protect access to your
internal machines.  Maybe it's a favor to your neighbors, or maybe you
put "Free Public Wifi" in the name (though, the only ones I see with
that name are peer-to-peer networks).

Still, I'd think the real thing to be concerned about is not so much
network security, but when the RIAA thugs look into the ISP's records
and find out that the offending IP address is assigned to YOU.  I
haven't been following their cases too closely, but my impression is
that the "I swear it wasn't ME" defense isn't going so well.

Thanks,
      Aaron