Marty Skitch on 11 Dec 2007 14:18:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert - a little OT

Here's a link to a valid explanation. This is a "feature" of M$ wireless networks but you can turn it off and it's a good ideal to turn it off.
http://www.wlanbook.com/2007/07/16/free-public-wifi-ssid/

brent saner wrote:
a valid response to this thread! sweet!

I believe HP laptops (i think. confirmation, anyone?) have, OOB, an ad-hoc set up.

it's also possible it's someone trying to honeypot you. ;)

but i see a lot of ad-hocs in places where AP's shouldn't even exist. so i'm pretty sure it's an OOB thing

Marty Skitch wrote:
What is it with those "Free Public Wifi" that are peer-to-peer? There's one at the office where I work and just wondered if anyone know anything about them.