Brian Stempin on 13 Dec 2007 01:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Solution to unpleasant posting

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Solution to unpleasant posting
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:13:48 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=2xTFnQg2Lp8No9FCJMst9Is0qzgVhpcpYZn5A07QPjQ=; b=OSL6yuoj1cJQ5rZ/IwrwixW888v87GcoP6of+BNm868pg+VNne2j0OTWhdxniFc6IE+xOLdrTJxUEydPLmmzzJJyzOnoVFmwzxNfL/ZG49K1JjqnF6+i2ebDWAzNa2CAlqhvWmHJP9dR7U767zC4m0Ph/ZbA1LJd8OU+6lY5thA=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Granted, we might still need a ruling on whether OT is still OK, but I
like your solution best.

I think this is an interesting statement.  I say this because, in my mind, all of the threads marked 'OT' have had something to do with the group as a whole.  Because we're a LUG, there's a great chance that we also share other things in common, such as geekie tendencies, political views on certain topics, and other things that interest those who are either computer enthusiasts or computer professionals.

My point is this:  Not every post on this list is going to be for everyone.  Even if it was 100% Linux, certain people would not care about certain threads due to distro preferences, company limitations, etc...yet, this is not flagged as noise.  Why should something that's not 100% about Linux be marked as noise?  So long as it's relevant to the group, I would think that it's ok.

On Dec 12, 2007 6:28 PM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 12 December 2007, jeff wrote:
> I've seen all kinds of threads that don't interest me, on and off-topic.
>   I don't demand they be stopped though - I hit the Ignore button (also
> a retrofit).

You see, in the same way I don't want to have to shovel trash out of my way
when walking around, I'd rather not have to read all sorts of junk posts in
order to read about the topics that this list is actually *for*.

Yes.  I could carry my shovel around and spend time clearing all the refuse
from my path, but it's a far better option to get people not to throw the
trash around in the first place.  In the same vein, it is better for
*everyone* (including you) if we don't fill the list with junk.

Importantly, I'm not being forced or paid to read and participate in the list,
and I would guess that nobody else is either.  This means that the purpose of
this list is our enjoyment.  I certainly don't enjoy wading through garbage,
so I would expect that if people continue to "litter" on the list, they'll be
driving away many of the people who would otherwise participate.

%!PS: Last time I checked, respectful conduct (often called "etiquette") is
something they teach in kindergarden.  Nobody's making any demands, but some
(including myself) are requesting that we all engage in even the tiniest
degree of courtesy.